- Know your budget. Before you even start looking, it’s a good idea to establish how much you can spend on an engagement ring. Stick with your budget and steer clear of any salesman that tries to get you to deviate from what you can afford.
- Choose a diamond or a sapphire to keep costs down. There are many different gems that can be featured in an engagement ring. Chocolate diamonds and canary diamonds are currently trending right now. If you want a classic ring that won’t break the bank, stick with a traditional clear diamond. They are less expensive than their colored counterparts. If you do want a colorful center stone, consider a sapphire instead of a ruby or emerald.
- Shape matters. After you’ve chosen a center stone, you’ll need to decide on a shape. While round is the most popular diamond shape, it’s also the most expensive. This is partly due to the demand for the shape. Consider a square or cushion cut diamond to save up to 40 percent on your center stone.
- Go for the gold. The setting of the engagement ring will impact the cost quite a bit. Traditionally, engagement rings are made of white gold, platinum, yellow gold, or rose gold. Platinum and white gold are the most popular right now. While they look similar, platinum is more expensive. It costs about 50 percent more than white gold does. If you’re looking to keep costs down, opt for white gold.
- Keep it simple. The more detail that your ring has, the more expensive it will be. A classic band with a diamond is a clean and elegant engagement ring that any girl will love. Choosing a halo, intricately carved band, or pave band has the potential of increasing your cost significantly. Pick and choose your details carefully as you try to keep your ring within your budget.
- Choose something vintage. If your future wife has a flair for all things retro, consider shopping from the vintage finds that the jeweler has. These rings tend to be smaller and not as flashy as current styles, allowing them to be inexpensive compared to other rings. If you can’t find a vintage ring that you love, consider building a custom ring designed after an iconic vintage style.
- Find the right jeweler. Some jewelers mark up the prices of their rings astronomically. Only shop from trustworthy sources. Then you’re sure to get the best ring for the best price.
When you are looking at engagement rings in Michigan, there’s no reason to spend a fortune. By following these tips and tricks, you’ll find a ring that she loves for a price that you love just as much.